Saturday, June 24, 2023

Queens of the Stone Age - Times New Roman.

 


Queens of the Stone Age start from a place and speak a language that I'm not particularly conversant in. That of Heavy Rock and Metal. This is abundantly clear from Obscenery, the opening track of their latest album In Times New Roman.

The fact that I'm not fluent in this tongue, the place where guitars go eek, mean I had an in-built resistance to much of this record. Soundgarden's Superunknown is the only record of this stripe that I've ever truly embraced over the course of my lifetime. In Times New Record.is by no means in the same class as Superunknown. Very few records are,

This is a perfectly respectable beast. A constant churning factory of riffs that seem to me to amount to the perfect soundtrack to a spot of in-depth housecleaning. The fact that it rarely if ever departs from this script made it a slightly grueling listen for me as after a while given the nature if my tastes. Others will feast on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment