Friday, June 23, 2023

Sigur Ros - ATTA

 


In 1999, according to The Best Albums Ever Made site, which is a useful reference point for such things, Sigur Ros put out the best record of the year as we stretched out into the void. I didn't think it a very good year for music. My own favourite album that year was Travis's The Man Who, which probably speaks volumes. I don't care. I stand by that album.

The Icelandic bands new record ATTA, is not unlike Agaetis Byrhun the album that made such waves for them all those years ago. They do what they do and you either find it spectral and awe inspiring, immerse yourself in wonder like you're having a long hot fragrant bath, with lit candles placed judiciously around the tub and steam rising. Or else you're left slightly cold and find yourself wondering what the fuss is all about,.

I'm firmly in the latter camp. sadly. I wish I liked it more. But it all felt distinctly New Age to me and frankly rather dated.  Ladies and gentleman we are truly floating in space. Again. At a certain point I wondered whether I would enjoy it more if I were on drugs. I'm far too old for all that nonsense now, Seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment