Thursday, June 29, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,434 Cable Ties

 

Back from Sydney to Melbourne. A howl into the void. We've heard this before. Kristen Hersh, Kat Bjelland, Corin Tucker, Kathleen Hanna. 

Jenny McKenchie, lead yeller for indie trio Cable Ties served her apprenticeship at this particular school of thought. She may also have a few AC/DC records in her collection. She is Australian after all.

It's an interesting mix. The band's latest album All Her Plans touches on all the reference points I've just mentioned, lights a fire, warms a large pot on it, stirs its ingredients in and heats to a boil.  

I think I heard the AC/DC too immediately on first listen and switched off. There probably isn't a band I dislike quite as much as AC/DC. But I'm glad I came back to this. I still have plenty of time for Kristen, Kat, Corin and Kathleen and this is where the heart of All Her Plans lies. It's a spirited, full throated and intensely driven record. 

No comments:

Post a Comment