Saturday, June 17, 2023

Janelle Monae - The Age of Pleasure

 

Janelle Monae is one of the best we've got. I thought her last record, 2018's Dirty Computer was the best album I heard that year. Then, lots of promotion and touring and finally a belated follow up, The Age of Pleasure just out.

It's not such an immediately weighty statement. Only thirty minutes compared to The Dirty Computer which pushed fifty. It's also not on first play such am impressive record. Plenty of the usual broad sexual gestures and posing but without the WOW! factor.

I'll give it further airtime. It's Janelle so deserves respect and may be a grower. But initially I'm not blown away and repeat plays are going to have to work hard to win me over. I suspect she may have lost some of the wind in her sails.

No comments:

Post a Comment