Saturday, June 24, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,429 m.ward

 

It was very nice to catch up with my old mate Tim on Monday when we met up in a couple of pubs in Soho for a few jars and a good chat about the state of things everywhere. Tim and I first met in Riga, Latvia, almost 20 years ago,  when we taught a teacher training course together and got on immediately. It's always great to meet up and talk for a few hours about Politics, Football and Music. Always lots of Music.

In some respects we have similar tastes. Jazz, all the fabulous invention and creativity that Punk gave birth to, African Music, the Velvet Underground, Bowie and Eno, Talking Heads, Sixties stuff. But there's one key difference and Tim hit the nail on the head on the head during our discussion on Monday in one simple sentence: 'I don't really like Folk stuff. Singer songwriters.' 

That explains it. So he's not really interested in R.E.M. which was my great Road to Damascus experience at 18, even though we both love The Bunnymen. I do love Folk stuff. Singer Songwriters. It accounts for a good quarter of my music collection and there are real cornerstones of my taste there; Dylan, Van, Nick Drake, Fairport, Kate, R.E.M. They all draw largely on the well of Folk.

So does Portland, Oregon's M.Ward. He's back there with his bucket and rope on latest album Supernatural Thing.' M, has been doing this for a while. A quarter of a century or more, so it's fair enough to call him a master. A craftsman, working on the wheel. You may know his work though the moniker he's chosen for himself almost invites anonymity.

Anyhow, the record is an act of measured love,. Like a couple who've been married for a couple of decades renewing their vows in the sheets. It's an eclectic album that draws on the talents of a number of friends and collaborators; First Aid Kit, Neko Case, Shovels & Rope, Jim James. Songs go to different places but never stray far from the well.

It's laid back and middle aged but I'm middle aged myself and aspire to being laid back whenever I can. I liked the record a lot and will be back. Quite often I suspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment