Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Bonnie Doon - Let There Be Music

 

I like having been around as It Starts for some time now. It gives me a reference point, a place to back to, by accessing the Search this Blog facility on this page when a record comes out and the name of the artist rings a bell, leading me to go back to see what I've said about them before.

I've followed Detroit's albums down the years. From their early days as Pavement, Silver Jews, Dean Wareham slacker types in albums one and two in 2017 and '18. Since then there's been an indecent gap to album three Let There Be Music, (aren't these things generally something to do with COVID), and it's a great pleasure to find it to be the one that finds them fully comfortable within their own skin rather than immediately reminding you of someone else.

It's a very much at ease with itself record. Indie strum. If it has a classic antecedent album that album is probably Loaded but it doesn't sound like The Velvet Underground. It sounds like Bonnie Doon. And that sounds fine. It's not an album that uproots trees. But if every record did we wouldn't have any trees.



1 comment:

  1. I finally listened to this yesterday, having liked their previous albums. Think you hit the nail on the head, Bruce. At ease with itself. Maybe I wanted a bit more...

    ReplyDelete