Sunday, September 27, 2026

Coveted # 8 Gomez - Bring It On

 


This will do me for today ! Bring It On is reminiscent of a certain perspective and way of going about life. It was the end of the Nineties and Brit Pop had curdled. Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels had come out. Hot on the heels of The Big Lebowski.

Bring it On came out in April 1998 on the still cool Hut Label. It won the Mercury Music Prize beating Mezzanine and Urban Hymns, (a sign of very strong days) and Gomez toured the UK with Embrace who were like Oasis meets The Verve for those who needed more of the same. 
Christgau reviewed it and said, 'They mean it man...' They probably didn't.

 I was very, very partial and played it on loop. I'm playing it on loop again today. I had it on CD but don't on vinyl. I might need to amend that. The draw of the album is I'd say sheer enjoyability. It's not a record which takes itself seriously on any level. It says something about friendship and love of music. That's enough. 

. 

No comments:

Post a Comment