This is still coveted becase it was an album I almost bought when it came out. I was 14 and just starting to get interested in music seriously. On the funfair ride and process of accumulation I've been on for almost fifty years since.
It's a fairly generic New Wave record really with an album cover very, very much of its time. An image of a man making the after news weather forecast. It barely registered chart wise. The competition was unfeasibly strong back in those days. The song everyone knows and The Vapors shot at immortality Turning Japanese, famously a song which seemed to extol the wonders of onanism was quite rightly a Top Ten Hit and hung around the Top 40 for weeks.
The rest of the album is solid if unremarkable. Less to my taste than The Only Ones, Magazine, The Passions, Gang Of Four or any others who carved out a space for themselves at the same time and wielded a sharper scalpel. It's sub Jam and Sub Costello without being a patch on either . But if I ever see a reasonably priced copy. I'll probably buy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment