I probably haven't got enough time to consume as much music as I'd like to and do it justice on here. But I'll do my damnedest. There are certain genres I can barely do justice to given how vast and unknowable they are and I'm only really beginning to dip my toes into to any degree. That goes for Jazz. For Folk and certainly for Brazilian Tropicalia.
Well you have to start somewhere so why not with Chico Buarqe's 1971 album Construcao. The most dramatic and intense record imaginable. The strings just dive out at you. Fans of Forever Changes and Oddessey and Oracle and The Left Banke take note. But given that this is in Portuguese it has another layer of melodrama and intrigue.And so much history
Written partially in Italy during a period of political exile.it's sleeve and presentation has been interpreted as a tribute to the plight of the working man during a period of intense suppression by a political dictatorship. If you don't speak Portuguese you can still appreciate the passion and colour. It's a beautiful record on any number of levels.
No comments:
Post a Comment