Sunday, November 12, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,558 Skinshape

 


An album I was delighted to come upon by chance, skimming through the new releases eatly on a Saturday morning. The record in question is Craterellus Tubaeformis Skinshape. I'm delighted in turn to be able to commend it to you. It's a wonderful record.

For fans of Khruangbin and El Michels Affair says the review on the Rough Trade website. Fair enough. Also for fans of the La's record early on. Then Matvin Gaye, as I discovered about four or five tracks in. It slipped into a loping, easy stride and I felt suddenly that I might be listening to... What's Going On ...that truly special record that I first discovered sitting in the room next door to mine with three instant, important friends, in my first term at university in Autumn 1985.I've never been quite the same since.

Any record that can even bring me to mention the hallowed name of What's Going On must have something going for it. Tubaeformis Skinshape also reminded me of Bring It On, Gomez's perfectly formed, minor classic 1998 debut. In that it's a record that is deeply informed and versed in other records.And a delight to listen to as such.

Will Dorey, the man behind Skinshape is a Psychedelic Soul. A sound mixer and DJ at heart  Tubaeformis Skinshape is space out Astral Travel with a trained and highly competent traveller at the controls of the space shuttle. Infinity and beyond! You know you want to....

No comments:

Post a Comment