Saturday, January 28, 2023

1983 Singles - # 24 The Bluebells

 

The Bluebells were fab. And what's more they were in the charts. They were the 'might as well have been on Postcard band that actual had hits'. That's 'hits' Orange Juice. You only had one proper one. Even if it was Rip It Up.

Anyway Bluebells were fab. They knew that The Monkees were just the best. And as I've said, they had hits. Well at least two of them. This was one of them. Cath was the other. 'Cath. Woh woh. It takes a lot to make me laff. You led me up the garden path.' The girl I lived next door to at the time liked it. Her name was Emma-Kate. I think the double barreled thing was an affectation.

Anyhow she was lovely. I fancied her rotten and I think she liked me too. Everybody has to have a girl next door at some point in their teenage years. She was mine. She knocked on the front door one Thursday evening one time in 1984 when the rest of my family were out. I'd just watched Top of the Pops. The Smiths had been on playing Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now. They'd also played the video for Sylvian's Red Guitar. Some things stay lodged in your memory banks forever.

Anyhow TOTP was over and Eastenders had probably started. The doorbell rang. Emma-Kate was really upset. Her horrible piebald family cat had caught and killed a bird. She was virtually in tears. I went next door with her and we buried it in a match box. Then we went inside and watched Some Like it Hot together. I never told her. I never kissed her. But it doesn't matter. I have the memory. It's golden. Whenever I think of or listen to The Bluebells I think of Emma-Kate.

*One additional piece of information. This is originally a Bananarama song.


No comments:

Post a Comment