Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,274 Circa Waves

 

Liverpudlians Circa Waves have been around for about ten years now. Latest album Never Going Under is their sixth. It has an excellent cover. The most striking album sleeve I've seen thus far this year. Race horse going full tilt out of a pitch black backdrop. A simple but stark image.

The record, to my surprise is also not bad. 'To my surprise' because this is the kind of stuff that generally leaves me utterly indifferent. Landfill Indie. A little but Strokes, a little bit Indie. A little bit meh...

But hold on, because it's good. Nothing is remarkable here. Not the singing. Not the playing, Not the lyrics. Not the tunes. But I like it and want to hear it again. Circa Waves have put out an unremarkable album but I like it and wouldn't mind seeing them live. Not every record changes the world and why should it? That would be exhausting frankly

No comments:

Post a Comment