Friday, August 20, 2021

Personal Long Players # 9 The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional

 


'                                             'The children are walking back from the beach...' 

I think Born Sandy Devotional meant so much to me when it came out and ever since because it was a memory of the sun that I'd come from. I was born In Zimbabwe, and spent my first six years there and that's always within me, and Born Sandy Devotional  gets over the vivid, intense glow of living under a true sun and the almost limitless universe it endows in you forever, better than any other record I know.

The Triffids sun is an Australian one of course, not an African one. It makes no odds. but it's not just the intense heat that this album gives off that make it so extraordinary. It's the vividly realised characters that populate its landscape and the fiercely emotional obsessions that drive them. Every song is a beautifully realised short story worthy of Paul or Jane Bowles, Faulkner, Hemmingway or Scott Fitzgerald. The Triffids did pleanty of other great stuff but Born Sandy Devotional is the one you really need.

No comments:

Post a Comment