Thursday, June 13, 2024

Best Ever Albums - 2,000 - 1,001 -1,902 This Heat - This Heat

 


A cool name to drop. Possibly a band that's more namedropped than actually listened to. 'Fiery, chaotic and full of emotion.' null. their debut album resonates dread and paranoia. It made me feel immediately like I'd been sent on a work placement detail I'd been obliged to fulfil from my local employment office.To the local abbatoir or open furnace.  At risk of having my benefits supply cut off  if I didn't attend it. One for the brave and deeply determined.  Typical song title. The Fall Of Saigon. Earnest young artists at work.Once you get started on this it's oddly addictive. 

Un the words of Charles Hayward of the band: “Just before This Heat started, I realised: it’s all folk music. All of it. Abba is folk music, Charles Ives conducted by Bernstein is folk music. So what we made was south London folk music. Deptford, Camberwell, Brixton, lots of places had either been bombed flat in the war, or had their resources sucked dry. They became overcrowded and dirty and grimy. A road like Camberwell Grove feels wider now, because the bricks are cleaner and some of the trees have been removed. But back then, it felt very claustrophobic, it felt very sooty, at points it was racist – in a clear way, not the violence of nice that we’ve got now.”



No comments:

Post a Comment