Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,546 Partial Traces

 

When in need of something to listen to you might choose a quintet from Boston that 'evoke The Jesus & Mary Chain and Beach House' according to their bio.

Having read this I gave their latest album Stay Dreaming a spin. It never once reminded me of The Jesus & Mary Chain. Beach House at a push. But more Arcade Fire. And particularly their Springsteen fixation. 

That senasation that every song might be their last and life was essentially just one breathless rush to get beyond the city limits before the cops track us down and drag us back to drab perpetuity. 

They're good at what they do, though essentially they feel like a support band and I've just described what they set out to do in pretty much every song. Partial Traces spiritual home is the early Eighties and singles from Pat Benetar and Kim Wilde making life just that little more dramatic and black and white than it ever actually is. 

Still that's showbiz. Thanks Darren Jones for another nudge. I did actually switch to Beach House's magnificent Bloom before Stay Dreaming got 2 thirds of the way through. Sure enough there was a resemblance. But no real comparison this time round.

3 comments:

  1. Ha, I think I like this more than you! :) I don't get the JAMC resemblance, either. Sounds like a desperate record label effort to make a link.... but I do like this. Her live-in voice gets to me, like she has...ummm...lived a life. To me, the songs sound more like a reflection on trying to get beyond the city limits. Looking back on the failed attempts to escape, years later. Weirdly, I decided to look them up, and see where they came from. Turns out they were in pop punk bands that I'd never heard of (The Soviettes? The Gateway District?) in the 2000s and 2010s. Wouldn't have guessed that. They are also from Minneapolis, home of The Replacements. Think I get a bit of their world-weariness in Partial Traces at times...but in early 80s pop songs.

    Enjoyed The Serfs and Those Unfortunates BTW! Rather like the new Golden Apples and Pony Girl albums from last week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting links to Partial Traces Darren. Maybe I was harsh. Will give it another play. Thanks for the latest tips. I think I dipped my toes in the Golden Apples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, you like what you like! There's always more to listen to....

    ReplyDelete