Thursday, October 26, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,541 Bombay Bicycle Club

 


For a number of years from about 2005 to 2013, (when I started this blog), I all but took my eyes and ears off new music. I'm not quite sure why this was. I think partially because I didn't think there was much going on that I was missing out on. 

A consequence of this extended dislocation on my part was there were a number of artists I 'missed out on'. The prime years of artists I do adore such as Sufjan Stevens and  Joanna Newsom. The rise of The National, a band I've never really learned to appreciate fully because I didn't experience their key years. Same goes for Modest Mouse. Much as I can appreciate individual songs or albums when I hear them, I'll never be fully onboard.  

Then there was the Indie Landfill. That strange period of musical history when a whole area of alternative guitar music was widely castigated and despised. I don't know whether Bombay Bicycle Club qualify for this term but in my mind they do. I missed out on them. Until I listened to their latest album My Big Day.

Firstly it's not bad. It has hummable tunes and vaguely danceable rhythms. Danceable if you attend the kind of venues where they play Hot Chip next. Secondly it has an awful cover with a picture of Peter Kay on the sleeve with fried eggs where his eyes should be. Thirdly it has guest slots. A number of them. From the likes of Damon Albarn, Nilufer Yanyer and Chaka Khan for goodness sake. That's Chaka Khan!

The record is bubbly and bouncy and clearly by a band of their age and stripe. It's a bit bland really. In the way that a lot of records that came out during the period when BBC were in their pomp were bland.. I remain to be convinced that I was entirely wrong between 2005 and 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment