Monday, October 30, 2023

Albums of the Year # 59 Jessie Ware - That ! Feels Good !

 



There are some genres I don't particularly write about on here even though I do love them and they're healthily represented in my record collection, Disco and Dance are among them. Are Disco and Dance music two separate things? I leave that to the experts and or pedants.

I also generally leave writing about these strands in music to people who can do so better than me. Much as I love my Chic albums, I couldn't write about why I do and what makes them so good as I can about my crackly R.E.M. records. My university friend Rod is one who I know could.

He introduced me to the wonders of Jessie Ware a couple of days ago and I've been listening to her latest record That ! Feels Good! ever since. I really should know all about Jessie. She's put out lots of highly successful records and won lots of prizes. But given that I spend a fair percentage of my waking hours hunting down Indie bands in checked shirts, some of this stuff is bound to pass me by. At least for a while.

All I can say in my defence is that I'm glad I've caught up now. That ! Feels Good!  itemises the joys of time spent on the dancefloor losing your shit and winding yourself up into a hypnotic state while those around you lose themselves too and Donna, Morricone, Nile, Sylvester and Earth, Wind & Fire provide the soundtrack.

Jesse, a Clapham girl, has been doing this for a decade and is pushing 40, not that this matters a jot. Her music is strictly old school in terms of seeking the exact same thrill as Disco Inferno, but that's irrelevant too. It's a craving that doesn't date/ This is for the moments in life  that The Cutter just won't do. It should be remembered that The Bunnymen would regularly feature an extended snippet of James Brown's Sex Machine in their live sets too. They knew. Thanks Rod. Wonderful stuff.. Just a shame you didn't teach me how to dance back in our college days.

No comments:

Post a Comment