Friday, October 20, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,534 Blue Ocean

 


One of the more intriguing guitar records I've heard of late. And I'm hearing a lot of stuff I really like right now. Fertile State, the latest band from Oakland, California a city that seems to be churning out one great Indie record after another at the moment. Anyhow. This is something else entirely.

This is one of the best. A huge throbbing slab of distorted guitar noise. Like many of my favourite Rock & Roll things it sounds like it's being played through blankets of cotton wool. I hope that's a description makes sme kind of sense, because it's the best decription of Fertile State I can come up with off the top of my head.

Blue Ocean, (and I'm afraid that's not the greatest band name I've come across), sound like lots of great things. Joy Division, My Bloody Valentine, Husker Du if Grant Hart's drums were the lead instrument and Bob Mould had just been sacked. Ride on valium and downers. The Cure on an inadvisable bender.

If that appeals then so might this. It's definitely one of the more impressive guitar records I've heard for a long time. What they're singing about is anybody's guess. Possibly nor about how happy they are if I had to hazard a guess. Anyhow the recor is inspired. Another great abum from Slumberland Records.

2 comments: