Saturday, October 28, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,543 Dusk

 

EarlyThursday evening, I was at a loose end. I'd had a slightly stressful day with one thing and another and was looking to unwind. I chanced upon Grass Pastures, from what I can gather, the third album from Lake Winnebago sextet Dusk and realised almost immediately that I had found what I was looking for.

Grass Pastures, is a record to unwind to. So long as you like melodic guitar records that hark back to The Byrds and Buffalo Springfild and evoke the Great American road. For that's what this does for the course of it's nine songs and forty minutes and two second run.

It's good time music in every sense of the word and Dusk are pretty much good ole boys and one good ole woman. Though just judging by their photos they strike me as liberal types. They sound like the kind of band that Alan McGee would have signed up for Creation or Poptones. Cosmic Rough Riders or Arnold. In the quite mistaken belief that they would hit the charts. Or not caring anyhow because he'd had the sense to sign up Oasis as soon as he saw them.

Most of all Grass Pastures sounds like Teenage Fanclub. Teenage Fanclub were from Glasgow but alwats sounded like they wished they were from California or were heading their as fast as they could. It's nice to see once again how what goes around comes aroun. A postcard with kisses from Lake Winnebago to The Highlands.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nudge, Bruce! Came across this last week myself, put it down as one to check out....then promptly forgot! Went down very nicely this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very smooth record. But I must say Darren I do think it's very Teenage Fanclub in terms of approach and style and I know you don't care for the band. I wonder what it is about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't hear Teenage Fanclub at all! Or at least what I recognise as them, since I don't really listen to them. Had me more in mind of Gram Parsons and cosmic American music. Do Teenage Fanclub sound like that? I guess I find TF more bland copyists, whereas this was more rooted in it. But I am weirdly biased against them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Gram. I'm very fond of TF. But they're certainly copysists on some levels.

    ReplyDelete