Monday, May 29, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,403 Alex Lahey

 


Alex Lahey sound ludicrously like Courtney Barnett for the first thirty seconds of her latest album The Answer is Always Yes. I mean ludicrously. Then she suddenly makes a radical shift and becomes Sheryl Crow singing All I Want To Do as the song proceeds.

It's good to hear the influence of Courtney impressing itself. It takes a while this kind of thing. She's been on the scene for a good ten years now. But it's heartening. I always feel like I'm with a good friend again as soon as I heard her voice. Lahey seems like she's more in the Pop lane while Barnett always motors down the Rock one, given her enduring debt to Nirvana and Lemonheads.

Lahey's latest album The Answer is Always Yes is an easy and positive start to a Monday morning, which it was for me as I was writing this yesterday. It's determined to find the silver lining. Maintain the line that the glass is half full and not running down.

Lahey is Australian like Courtney and it shows. She's born of the sun. The record becomes a bit bland occasionally. But it's something you'd be more than happy to turn on daytime radio and hear it blaring out. You'd crank it up. That's more than good enough. It should sell like hot cakes. And fully deserve to.

No comments:

Post a Comment