Saturday, May 20, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,394 Amy May Ellis

 

A couple of slightly loopy Folk ladies to kick off the weekend. I like slightly loopy Folk ladies. I don't think it's the official label. But you know what I mean. Breathy, intimate, slightly kooky. Joanne Newsom, Aldous Harding, Nadia Reid. Going back to Kate, who set this particular ball rolling all that time ago. She's essentially Folk too.

The latest of these I've discovered is Amy May Ellis. In my quest for new things to see in a live setting, I chanced upon Over Ling & Bell  her debut album from earlier on this year yesterday this year. She's playing The Cumberland Arms, which is a couple of miles away from me in ten days. I've determined to be there.

Over Ling & Bell is a small wonder. Determinedly and self- consciously small. But no less wonderful for that. In fact more wonderful. Simple, rolling melodies and rhythms. Almost whispered, enigmatic vocals. Perfect. 

Amy grew up in the middle of the North York Moors. This experience will surely have made their mark on her. She's now based in Bristol. This is probably just about all you need to know. The record is just enchanting. When she gets to The Cumberland Arms I'll be there. In the meantime I've got this.



1 comment: