Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,392 Greg Mendez

 

Another of Darren Jones recommendations. I'm not quite sure how he does it. He's been dropping me a line on here and letting me know what he's listening too for a while. Generally, my response has been to listen to the records he directs me to myself and then pass them on to you. That's what I'm doing now.

Here's another. Greg Mendez. An eponymous record that has also attracted Pitchfork's attention and received a 7.8 review, remarkably generous for them. He's from Philadelphia, if such factoids are important to you. On his Spotify page he sits, crouched in a burgundy hoodie and John Lennon spectacles. He's obviously the sensitive type.

This is a good record, but I'm not sure It's a 7,8. We've heard its like for many years, many times now down the years. Mark Kozelek, Mark Linkous, Elliott, Bon Iver. Mendez doesn't add unheard layers of pain or nuance to what we've heard but there may be some poor kid in the American suburbs who is owning this record on repeat play as we speak so I'm not going to knock it. Anyway, the cover's a neat one. Definitely worth a listen if you think of yourself as sensitive yourself.. Don't we all?

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think I'm with you on this, Bruce. I like it, but haven't been inclined to return that much. Nice enough, though, and it is a great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got another one for you, though! It's the new Jeffrey Silverstein album. It's sort of woozy country, part sung/spoken and part instrumental.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Onto it. Very good year I'm finding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got round to Jeffrey Silverstein. That's a small classic. Love it. Review upcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, great! It's a goodie. I need to have another listen. It's so easy to move on when there's so much music coming out all the time! One for my commute tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete