Saturday, March 20, 2021

Song(s) of the Day # 2,613 Middle Kids



Now here's something unexpected. On a day when I was disappointed by the new Lana Del Ray album I chanced upon this, a record that seemed much more genuine in terms of its intention and successful in its emotive achievement , Today We're The Greatest, the second album from young Australian trio Middle Kids.


The record is made up of a series of emotionally intense and ambitious pop songs. Perhaps made for people a lot younger than me primarily, but they definitely struck a chord with me . The band's name seems plain but has some resonance too when you come to think of it. Can't be easy being a middle kid. But it's something you're pretty much stuck with.


Today We're The Greatest is a record of modest but definite worth. It won't change your world in all probability but it doesn't seem to me to be trying to. It's an album that seems to be attempting to extract joy and solace despite all the pain we have to go through. It wants to be normal, despite it all.


I'm not sure I'll return to this too often. Ultimately, in the continuing mission of writing this I am looking most for records that change my world. To throw in a few from this year alone that have done that this year I'd mention Jane Weaver, Weather Station, Cool Ghouls, Goat Girl, Besnard Lakes and James Yorkston. Those are the ones that have stunned me in some small way in 2021 so far.


Today We're The Greatest is unlikely to join that list. It ranks somewhere lower. But I'm glad I listened to it yesterday and I'll listen to it again. It's a record that's very much its own statement. It's not overcome by influence. They are some very sweet and moving songs on here. Songs that are trying to make their way in a world that is often difficult and maintain their essential grace and dignity. Listen to Golden Star, a song in the middle of the record that encapsulates what this record is about and manages to stand out too. It gets the ahem, Gold Star, but really the whole album gets a big tick from me. Hats off to Middle Kids. Today at least they are the greatest on It Starts With a Birthstone.



No comments:

Post a Comment