Sunday, March 21, 2021

Albums of the Year 1974

 I'm going to struggle slightly for the next three years. My record collection isn't blessed with many albums from '74, '75 and '76. Mainly because I don't feel they were very good years for music. The most exciting scene in the world at the time was probably happening in CBGB's in New York City, where the big players there were preparing their initial statements. Anyhow, back to '74. I'm pleased to report that I'm still able to post a pretty decent Top Ten. Here's the list from the Best Ever Albums site.

1. King Crimson - Red

2. Neil Young - On the Beach

3. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

4. Supertramp - Crime of the Century

5. Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

6. David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

7. Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark

8. Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets

9. Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

10. Jorge Ben - A Tabua De Esmerelda

Here's my own. Composed solo of things in my vinyl record collection. I don't own On the Beach or Rock Bottom and do covet those but here's my own personal best of the things I do own list:

1. Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel


2. Big Star - Radio City


3. Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic



4. Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece


5. Sparks - Kimono My House


6. Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets


7.. David Bowie - Diamond Dogs


8. Roxy Music - Country Life


9. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway


10. Mott - The Hoople


In many ways, , this could be described as Sparks year. They put out Propaganda, another very good album ,in the same year. They pointed forward in some ways. To Punk and also to Disco. There were other decent albums. From John Cale, Kraftwerk, Can, Richard & Linda Thompson, Tom Waits and others. But generally this was quite a restless year for music and '75 and '76 would get even more troubled. Waiting for '77


No comments:

Post a Comment