Saturday, March 20, 2021

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees

 


A memory. A very happy one. How listening to Climate of Hunter by Scott Walker, on a Facebook group which I'm a member of, which didn't quite do it for me, led me to listen to David Sylvian's brilliant Brilliant Trees from the same year and wallow in this happy memory for an hour:

'Everyone should have a girl or a boy next door in their youth. I did. Emma Kate Pailthorpe was her name. We both liked each other. But I was too shy to do anything about it. I was eighteen. Teddington. One evening in 1984, (the year this came out), I was alone in the house, (my parents and sister were elsewhere for some reason). I watched Top of the Pops. 

The Smiths played Heaven Knows, Morrissey with a small tree hanging out of his back pocket. They also played the video for Sylvian's Red Guitar. The most beautiful man in the world and he came from Catford. There was a ring on the doorbell and it was Emma-Kate.One of the most beautiful girls in the world. At least at that point in my life.

 Her cat had killed a bird and she was very upset and had it in a matchbox. We went round and buried it in her garden. Then we went in and watched Some Like it Hot. She made some cookies. A friend of hers came round and we all watched the film together. This anecdote is not a Pulp song. Nothing happened at all. Still one of my very favourite memories though. 'I'm drowning in my nostalgia' as David sang on Brilliant Trees. Enjoying listening to this more than Climate of Hunter I'd have to say. Tracks Three, Five, Six. Really. Hardly likely to attract the youth vote back in '84 when they had Sylvian and Morrissey. Sylvian particulaly took Scott's place as the most beautiful man in the pop world.'

No comments:

Post a Comment