Sunday, March 7, 2021

Albums of the Year - 1972

 Another wonderful year for music. Here are the Top Ten albums on the Best Ever Albums site.

1. David Bowie - The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars

2. The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

3. Nick Drake - Pink Moon

4. Yes - Close to the Edge

5. Neil Young - Harvest

6. Lou Reed - Transformer

7. Deep Purple - Machine Head

8. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

9. Can - Ege Bamyasi

10. Genesis - Foxtrot

Also my own personal list chosen from records that I own. Not I stress what I think the best records made in 1972, (the year my family came back from Africa to live in England), were. Just my own personal favourites. Bowie had to be Number One here too. One of the very best Pop records ever made. It has plenty of competition. I've just been listening to Talking Book just now  and had to place it higher than I originally had, it's such a fabulous record. If I listen to the others I might want to change it again. Still. we'll leave it here. Ranking is frankly quite spurious when the albums concerned are as good as these.

1. David Bowie - The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars


2. Stevie Wonder - Talking Book




3.  Lou Reed - Transformer


4. The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street


5. Big Star - # 1 Record


6. Neil Young - Harvest


7. Roxy Music - Roxy Music


8. Nick Drake - Pink Moon


9. Can - Ege Bamyasi


10. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Clear Spot


Plenty else that deserves a mention. Ten is really not enough. Wishbone Ash, (yes, Argus is a very good record), Todd Rundgren, the Harder They Come Soundtrack, Family, Elton John, Nuggets. Also an honorary mention for Neu by Neu, which I don't own on vinyl, but would be in the Top Ten if I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment