Saturday, February 20, 2021

Song of the Day # 2,585 Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott

 


I had a good Friday night last night. Reflecting on a great week at work and the forthcoming anniversary of the Lockdown condition. I'm aware of the terrible, terrible nature of much of this, that it's not by any means a natural state but as an essentially solitary sort I've very much appreciated the opportunities it's given me to indulge myself in great films, books and music. Also to thought.

During the evening, I made a Spotify playlist entitled The Jukeboxes of Newcastle Miss Me! which I posted on social media. I'll post it here too later on in the day. An indulgence certainly, but a reminder of what I'd probably be doing otherwise, ploughing countless pound coins into a jukebox in one pub or other surrounded by regulars. I must have saved a fortune in this respect alone over the last twelve months. Never mind the beer.

In response to my post, a good friend from round here replied with this. Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott descibing a drunken night in their local and the definite and invaluable service that a good jukebox plays in all this.The focus on what gets played is cheese and communal memory and pleasure. Getting lost in the moment, with your day of work far behind you.

I'm a little bit more of a prurient muso snob in terms of what I put on generally. Television for example and the likes of Can feature generally to a greater degree than Neil Diamond and Elton John. but ten years in Newcastle has led me to appreciate and relish these moments and instincts. I look forward to being able to experience it again in the not too distant future without fear or restriction. In the meantime, here are Paul and Jacqui. Cheers Norman.Make sure you don't wear that hat to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment