Friday, February 19, 2021

1981 Singles # 1 The Specials

 


So to the end of another rundown. 1981 was a pretty remarkable year for singles and music. I'm glad I experienced it when I was between 15 and 16. I think I'll do another for 1982 in 2022 and then stop. From memory things started to go into decline, certainly single-wise from 1983. Politics seemed to interfere somehow.

Ghost Town had to be Number One here. I was gradually developing a political consciousness and this song said it all about the climate in the Summer of 1981. The footage of rioting in British inner-cities was all over the news. This was also a fabulous tune and a video. An incredible way for the original members of the band to say goodbye to each other and to us. It was Number One for weeks I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment