Sunday, February 21, 2021

Albums of the Year 1970

 The Sixties were over. That much is clear just by looking at the Top Ten list on the Best Ever Albums site as voted by its readers. The Beatles were all but gone and The Stones put out a live record. Into the Seventies:

1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

2. Neil Young - After The Gold Rush

3. Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

4. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

5. John Lennon - John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band

6. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

7. Van Morrison - Moondance

8. Led Zeppelin - III

9. The Stooges - Fun House

10. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory

Here is my own list. Not as I always repeat, what I think the best records of 1970 are. Who am I to say? Just a rundown of my own personal favourites, so long as they happen to be in my own record collection. Of course this could change any day:


1. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew


2. The Velvet Underground - Loaded


3.  Curtis Mayfield - Curtis


4. Neil Young - After The Gold Rush


5. Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day


6. The Stooges - Fun House


7. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmos Factory


8. Led Zeppelin - III


9. John Lennon - John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band


10. Cat Stevens - Mona Bone Jakon


There are many notable absentees. I wish I could have shoehorned Bridge Over Troubled Water in. But not today. Same goes for Moondance. Also Traffic, The Doors, Joni, Spirit and more.


An indulgence. Here's me, in 1970 I think. I'm the one in the water-wings. With my sister Alison in Zimbabwe.



No comments:

Post a Comment