Friday, September 26, 2014

Song of the Day # 251 Phosphorescent

 
I discovered this and the album it hails from, Muchacho, yesterday by chance. It came out last year. I'll probably have to buy it now as it's quite excellent.  Not so much a band so much as a moniker for  a singer-songwriter named Matthew Houck, originally from Alabama, but now based in New York after a spell in Athens, Georgia. I could have chosen two or three tracks from the album but this one really struck an immediate chord. It captures something of the spirit of Gram Parsons who casts such a huge shadow over so much modern music . Houck doesn't shy away from the harsh realities. Another album to fall in love with.

3 comments:

  1. I was pushing this album hard on anyone who would listen toward the end of last year. It ended up pretty high on my end-of-year list. My special special favourite song on there was Terror in the Canyons. That's an incredible song, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered the record and will go out and order it today. There are a number of great things on it and it seems to me like a grower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pulled it back out over the weekend and played it super loud in the car on Saturday while I was driving around. Still sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete