Sunday, September 21, 2014

Love in a Car

Doing rude things in cars. A particularly British indie obsession over a decade. Set in motion most forcefully by Morrissey with 'the leather runs smooth in the passenger seat,' 'I just want to be seen in the back of your car', leading to 'take me out tonight.... take me anywhere, I don't care, I don't care...driving in your car, I never, never want to come down', and 'in the darkened underpass, I thought oh god my chance has come at last.'

 
The House of Love took up the theme a couple of years later and seemed to take a more spiritual, less physical approach to the matter.
 
 'Deeper than any sea'
 
Then Suede turned their attention to the theme on their debut album a few more years down the line. It wasn't clear whether the Breakdown of the title applied to the car itself or those inside it.  'Does he only come in a Volvo?' Ooh err! This, unsurprisingly seemed to bring a full stop to this min-genre.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment