Monday, May 12, 2014

Patti Smith & Janis Joplin

Patti & Robert Mapplethorpe

'The intense community of musicians staying at the Chelsea then would often find their way into Janis's suite with their acoustic guitars. I was privy to the process as they worked on songs for her new album. Janis was the queen of the radiating wheel, sitting in her easy chair with a bottle of Southern Comfort, even in the afternoon. Michael Pollard was usually by her side. They were like adoring twins, both with the same speech patterns, punctuating each sentence with man. I sat on the floor as Kris Kristofferson sang her "Me & Bobby McGee" Janis joining in the chorus. I was there for these moments, but so young and preoccupied with my own thoughts that I hardly recognised them as moments.' From Just Kids.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment