Monday, August 17, 2026

Song(s) of the Day # 4,482 Swapmeet

 


Huurah Lads ! Darren Jones, first mate of this blog has has shown his face on deck at It Starts With a Birthstone chucked a few tasty mortals on deck and vanished with nary a word. I'm immensely grateful . Off we go into the coming week with Swapmeet's Mount Zero.

Swapmeet hail from Adelaide, Australia which may be fresh territory for It Starts, but probably isn't. They're a spirited looking gang, this is their debut , and it's out on LA Label Winspear and it's named after a mountain range that lies beteen Adelaide and Melbourne.

I could cite potential influences and sources. (Cate Le Bon sounds like a kissing cousin) . But essentially this is wistful, dreaming glass three quarters full meanderings of the best sort, layered, occasionally exploding into contagious emotive melody . Swapping vocals skillfully between three players like a dextrous relay squad and built to last.

4 comments:

  1. Thank 'e, Capn'!! Glad you liked it, it's a good'n. Turned 60 at the weekend, so I may be slowing up a bit... unlike you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of Happy Birthday Darren . I found it was a big one. And then I was just glad it was done ! Yes cool record. I liked your other suggestions a lot too. .

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bruce! Yes, this hit me in a similar way to 30, except then it was 'what am I going to do with my life?' and now it was 'what have I done with my life?'. Best to just move on now, listen to more records, watch more films...

      Delete
    3. That's my response too. And enjoy it as much as you can !!! Plenty of great stuff coming in the next few days. I don't find it difficult to find music I care for.

      Delete