Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 3,135 Pomme

 



Pomme is 'apple' in French. My meagre education in that language at Secondary School from forty years back tells me that. Pomme is also a French singer with a charming approach and a rather lovely voice. Consolation is her third album.

I'm on holiday at the moment, so that obviously makes me prone to happy emotions. But I rather fell in love with this yesterday morning, listening through to it for the first time.

I can't understand the lyrics. My understanding for that language never went much further than, 'Nikki, the monkey, is in the tree.'  But it's a language that music almost always sounds great in.

As for the album itself, it's difficult to describe. It's floaty and tuneful and rather indie and laid back. The record has a sleeve with someone, wearing something that covers her face that looks like a cross between a sombrero and an arty lampshade. You'd have to assume that this is the French 'apple lady' herself. And also that she doesn't take herself altogether seriously.

Anyway, this is hardly a record that is going to stop the lights. Commercially or critically. Perhaps in France. But I love it and its eccentric ways. The Gallic apple lady is actually good enough to sing a song in English for us ignorant Brits and it's as good as all her others. Encroyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment