Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 3,128 Why Bonnie

 

Bands with similar names are rather confusing for the likes of me, trying to keep a blog going on. Texas quintet Why Bonnie popping up with their debut album 90 in November is a case in point, just as Bonny Light Horseman are set to return.

Why Bonnie serve further confusion into the mix by serving up what sounds like a fairly generic indie stew for much though not all of the record. I liked it. The songs are all serviceable in that slightly glum indie way that made me think of a female led Red House Painters. 

I couldn't help thinking, 'Oh pull youself together' at various points. Well most of it really. This is the way you feel at a certain point in your life. Early twenties certainly. But isn't Texas really sunny. About five tracks in I began feeling that a picnic might be a better idea than pretending you were on the 4AD roster at some point in the late Eighties

But I think I was being unkind. On second listen, it worked its way under my skin and I began to warm to its appeal. A slow burner, which will make its way into my end pf year list. Perhaps in the lower reaches.

*


No comments:

Post a Comment