Sunday, May 29, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 3,042 Stars

 


Music-Map .com is a useful app to access sometimes. Particularly for me, when trying to write these posts, when you come across a band you've previously been unaware of and you want to make sense of them. 


Such was the case when I listened to Montreal, Canadian veterans Stars ninth album  From Capleton Hill and couldn't make head or tail of it. It was difficult to tell where they came from, where they were coming from an when they were going.


Music-Map, the app that gives you similar bands to the one you put in the search engine came up with Belle & Sebastian, The National, The Postal Service and countless other songwiting indie worthies. Fair enough That makes perfect sense listening through to From Capleton Hill.


It starts off very well,, certainly lyrically on Palmistry with a spooky spoken intro or sample, (not quite sure), telling us that,' your guardian angel has put candles on both your knees'. Then an opening line, 'She slept in her car at Beachy Head.' So far, so very, very good.



The songs on the record itself don't really impress upon me. I think this is because they remind me of someone else, rather more than the bands listed above. Large because of the alternating male and female vocal leads. Also because of the vaguely bland results. It's a shame. It's not really for me. But it may be for others.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, I don't know this, but I did buy Set Yourself on Fire 15+ (!) years ago. Sort of liked it, and there were a few good songs, but never felt I needed anything else by them. For the same reasons as you, I think!

    ReplyDelete