Saturday, May 28, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 3,041 Ball Park Music

 

Brisbane band Ball Park Music's sixth album Weirder & Weirder doesn't sound particularly weird to me. More like a straight up Power Pop album, like the ones that they used to make. They certainly share no DNA with their hometown's best band The Go Betweens.

I like a bit of Power Pop as much as the next man but I don't really care greatly for it in its purest forms. I prefer R.E.M. to dB's for example and I vastly prefer them to the likes of The Knack or the Raspberries . There's something relentlessly cheerful about this record.

It's all perfectly listenable. Much of it would detain you briefly if it showed up on indie radio station daytime radio. It should fill mid sized venues and make plenty leap up and down inside them. It just didn't excite me very much really.



No comments:

Post a Comment