Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 3,037 Astrel K

 

Another recommendation from Darren Jones, consistent supporter of this blog for which I'm grateful as always. We have similar tastes, but he always has a knack of tracking things down that have evaded me in the weekly new releases.

His latest tip is Astrel K's Flickering i solo project of Rhys Edwards of Ulrika Spacek, one of the more interesting British alternative bands of recent years. Based in Stockholm and sounding much like it, it's an elusive, and perhaps not immediately arresting record but I found it drew me imperceptibly inwards as it played on and by the end of my first play I was both intrigued and won over.

It's released on Duophonic Super 45s, a label with a history of putting out records by the likes of Broadcast, Stereolab and Yo La Tengo. That's as good an indication as I can give of what  Flickering i spunds like. Spacey, disembodied, other worldly. Altogether fascinating and staking a claim in a noble tradition that takes you back to My Bloody Valentine, Can and other Krautrock bands and all the way back to early Bowie and Roxy.

It's also delightfully poppy.  A band that is regularly having hits in other universes but will never have any in this one. Mapping other galaxies. I'm always grateful when I come across records like these. So thanks again Darren.



1 comment:

  1. Glad you like it, too, Bruce! You have summed it up well. I have mostly been listening to recommendations via you recently, such as Best Bets, Good Looks and Fontanarosa. Can't remember if I've mentioned it, but the Winged Wheel album is interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete