Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Songs of the Day # 6 The Stevens


Much of Melbourne's The Stevens album of this year Good was shamelessly derivative in an enjoyable way, making its way down a well worn path already skipped down by Guided By Voices, Pavement and their ilk. Opening track Chancer though stood out from the pack and had achieved small classic status in my own personal universe by the year. Neat riff and the line, 'Give me a chance, give me a chance to be a stranger...' utterly meaningless and ringing with meaning at the same time, there was something about this track that always made me deeply emotional every time I heard it. 'As I'm holding on to you. You know it's true. You're holding on to me. It's plain to see. And in the darkness there we'll stay. As we dance the night away. The night becomes day for someone else.'  What more could you possibly want? Great tune too!

No comments:

Post a Comment