Thursday, June 16, 2016

100 Mavericks # 61 Andy Partridge


There's a book about Andy Partridge just out at the minute where he discusses his body of work and individual songs that he's written. The writer consistently records his own belief in Partridge's genius. I'm not personally convinced of this, it's such a subjective term anyway, but do agree to Partridge's considerable and very English talent. XTC produced any number of great songs from both Partridge and Colin Moulding to chuck into the pen of those already recorded by The Beatles and The Kinks.

Partridge was once described by Nick Kent as a grown up version of Piggy from Lord of the Flies a book which in Partridge's case Piggy won. His songs speak of his ability to maintain his innocence and write from that perspective. Rock and Roll's 'child man'. Here he is talking about himself in an NME interview from 1980.

'I don't know how to put it without boasting, but I think I'm quite mature and intelligent. At time, I've kept the things I appreciated as a kid in my head. I think a lot of people lose that. And they lose a big part of their personality. I still love toys.'


No comments:

Post a Comment