Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Best Ever Albums - 2,000 - 1,001 -1,943 The Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good

 


Not the kind of record I'd generally play first thing in the morning. But it turned up on here so I gave it a go. It's a clamourous, discordant album. Largely remarkable now for introducing Bjork to the world.

I probably bought it when it came out because Melody Maker  told me too. Peel adored it, but I never cared for Birthday, the break out single which he played non-stop. Life's Too Good is still divisive I imagine. Much probably depends largely on what you think of Einar, Bjork's loopy sparring partner. Birthday sounded great this morning. As did much else. 

It doesn't really hang together as a record but it was intended I imagine primarily as a statement of difference which it certainly remains. Most of the Indie bands of the time were clearly indebted to The Velvet Underground, Byrds, Buzzcocks, Beefheart and The Fall. This certainly wasn't. I'm glad I have this. Even if I generally play it once a year at most.




No comments:

Post a Comment