Thursday, May 30, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,753 Amelia Coburn

 

Browsing through the postings in social media yesterday afternoon, I came upon one from Shinding which directed me to Amelia Coburn. A remarkable young artist with a distinctive Northern brogue and a vivid and thrilling vision. 

Listen to her debut album  Between The Moon & The Milkman. I did yesterday..First drawn in by the Shindig prod to a couple of tracks. Later in the same evening. not convinced by a Netflix film that had toyed with my affections but not won me over  I went back to my desk, put my headphones back on and dove deeper into the album.

It's a fascinating record and she's a brilliant artist. She plays a ukulele and let's face it, this has hardly been an in vogue musical instrument since George Formby put his own down several decades ago and  probably was hardly all the rage even back then.

Coburn's a performer with a touching emotive voice with thoughtful intonation patterns. This is a record that an enormous amount of wor./ Care  and love are key ingredients. I love stumbling across artistic endeavours such as this one, I get the impression that she knows her Jacques Brel and her Jake Thakray. Her Disney and Hollywood musicals.. Her  Scott Walker. David Bowie and Edith Piaf. Also crucially herself.

She knows what she loves. She has her own guiding stars. But she's not for a moment overawed by them. This is a fantastic first step on what could be a Fantastic Voyage . It will be wonderful watching wherever she goes next. In the meantime this is one of the most exceptional and inspiring records I've heard this year,

No comments:

Post a Comment