Saturday, September 2, 2017

Things Found on My Local's Jukebox # 243 The Damned


There's a guy at work who I share a staffroom with. He swears by The Damned and we sometimes have conversations about music which invariably run the same course. Patti Smith, Television, Talking Heads, The Doors and Siouxsie & the Banshees are battered down by him by the glory of this particular group. I certainly don't see it myself but am gradually coming round to appreciate the attraction of a few of their early singles. Like this one, from Machine Gun Ettiquette, which I put on at Rosie's the other night. I put on Part 2 though you get both. Surprising how American a lot of its affectations sound given that they were very much a London band. Or alternatively how much Part 1 sounds like something Johnny Marr might have come up with in the rehearsal rooms.



No comments:

Post a Comment