Saturday, September 5, 2015

Thirty Days of Fifty # 5 The Go Betweens


And while we're in Australia. To this. The Go Betweens first single. There's an argument to be made that the best thing anybody does is the first. From The Beatles, before they put out a record playing in the Hamburg clubs, to Elvis's early Sun singles. To Patti Smith's Piss Factory, Television's Little Johnny Jewel. The Ramones first album, The Modern Lovers Roadrunner. And then this. 'I just want some affection'. Such a great opening line but then it just keeps building. So may instantly quotable lyrics in one song. The way you feel when you're a teenager trying to find yourself and really, find someone else. Do sensitive, teenage boys still haunt libraries? Robert Forster is back soon with a new album and I can't wait...
'I just want some affection
I just want some affection
I don't want no hoochie-coochie mama
No back door woman
No Queen Street sex thing
With all the kindness of the Japanese
I want a tiger on bended knees
I just want some affection
Karen yeah-yeah, Karen yeah-yeah
I wish I heard voices Wish I was a telephone
This very special girl
Karen yeah-yeah, Karen yeah-yeah yeah I said yeah, oh Karen! I know this girl
With all the problems that I encounter
And she works in a library, yeah Standing there behind the counter Willing to help Helps me find Hemingway
She always makes the right choice
Helps me find Genet Helps me find Brecht Helps me find Chandler Helps me find James Joyce She's no queen She's no angel
Oh, she's my god now Yeah!
Just a peasant from the village She's my god, she's my god She's my g-o-d, she's my god, yeah, yeah She's my g-o-o-d, yeah
Like a nun in a church does
Karen yeah-yeah, Karen yeah-yeah Karen yeah-yeah, Karen yeah-yeah yeah I said yeah, oh Karen! And she stands there in the library
Walking around, yeah the ones I see
Like a nun in a church does She stands there all alone 'Cos she gets me something that I Just can't get now anywhere else Cause the girls that I see
I can't see her there
Walking on the street Are so damn-da-da-da-damned cold 'Cos they must have eskimo blood in their veins And the one that I want I just can't see I can't see her anywhere
Karen, Karen, Karen, Karen, Karen, Karen!
Alright!
Oh Karen yeah-yeah...'

No comments:

Post a Comment