Thursday, October 2, 2014

Things I've Found on My Local's Jukebox # 33 Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

'And here I come up the hill, I'm pushing my wheel of love
I got love in my tummy and a tiny little pain
And a ten-ton catastrophe on a sixty-pound chain.'

I've been thinking a lot about Nick Cave this week. He's made a wonderful film, is on my local's jukebox and I played him for the first time tonight to good effect. At least for me. I'm not sure anyone else even noticed. This song works. It mines the myths. The video cheapens the sentiments and pure poetry of it for me. Too literal. But that doesn't detract from the original five minutes as it's best heard without visuals with the listener's imagination fleshing out the scenario. The video is here if you prefer.



No comments:

Post a Comment