Tuesday, October 28, 2014

What I Did Yesterday! The Black Lips

 
I think very highly of The Black Lips. More so after seeing them live for the first time last night. They're the essence of Rock and Roll. Kicked out of High School for being subversive, lowlife 'subculture danger'. What more could you want? I only chanced upon them about six months back to discover they'd been around for ten years and released seven albums during that time. Having bought and listened it their last couple of records I was pleased to see them coming to Newcastle but a bit surprised to find them playing The Cluny, a local venue with a capacity of less than a couple of hundred. They deserve a lot better. But from a punter's viewpoint of course the best possible place to see them.

 
I think they're a very smart band. Smart / dumb in the best possible way. The same way as The Ramones and The Cramps were. With that same gut level feel and love from where it all first came from and why it will always mean something. A band where every member writes and sings. Where every night on stage needs to matter. Rock and Roll as a calling rather than a career 

 
And I spoke very briefly to a couple of them. Founder members, drummer Joe Bradley and bassist Jared Swiley who were outside taking the air and having a cigarette before they played. I asked them their opinion of R.E.M. ,(heroes of mine from my youth), as both bands hail from Georgia and was pleased to get a fairly positive response and an anecdote about the band doing Lynyrd Skynyrd cover versions in their early days. Nice guys!

 
 
They played a couple of Lou Reed records just before they came onstage. It was the anniversary of his death. They understand. And then they played a great set. I'm not too young but they made me feel younger. I loved it. If you get the chance see them! There aren't many bands like this around anymore. Spread the word. Three gigs in 2014, I must be slowing down but all winners. First Courtney Barnett then The Sonics now this. They'd make the triple bill from heaven. Thanks to Michael for accompanying me and taking the photos.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment