Monday, September 13, 2021

Song(s) of the Day # 2,787 Heartless Bastards

 


With a countdown of my favourite 100 albums of 2021 starting on here in a few days, I'm still coming across records that seem to merit a place there and I don't doubt there'll be a few more in the next couple of months. 


Here's the latest contender. A Beautiful Mind by Cincinnati's Heartless Bastards. My first encounter with this bunch was at an ATP Festival in Minehead, Wales about ten years back. They were playing a lunchtime set, made a very pleasant impression on me and I've probably thought very little about them since.


A Beautiful Mind is their first album since 2015 and their sixth in all coming out on their own label Sweet Unknown Records. It leaves the same gentle heartwarming impression that seeing them that Sunday at ATP all those years agp had on me.


These are not songs that are in any way attempting to change the world. They are well crafted, dreamy, drifting things in the grand tradition of American Pop Rock songs of the Seventies and Eighties, Tom Petty, from whom the band got their name, seems to be the most natural comparison.


It's not alternative particularly. Not uneasy listening. It all will go down very smoothly indeed. It's great Sunday afternoon listening matter. I listened through to it on a Sunday afternoon and they seemed to go hand in hand together.






No comments:

Post a Comment