Sunday, September 26, 2021

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

 


Sure to feature majorly on all the high profile countdowns of Albu's of 2021. Little Simz Sometimes I Might Be Introvert released in late Autumn. It's a powerful and immediate record, high octane and thrilling from start to finish.

What I feel about it is a different thing. I didn't even listen to it all the way through until a few weeks after its release. I am as I keep telling myself, a man who gets closer to sixty than fifty every day. So whether I want state of the art and full on state of the nation addresses rather than a cup of tea and a biscuit while I sit down with Upstairs Downstairs or A Room With a View on a Sunday afternoon is an openand valid question. 

Still, it's an excellent record. Lyrical, funky and literate, in the way Soul II Soul and Massive Attack records were when I started getting into stuff like this first time round thirty years or more ago. In a year when Arlo Park's, Collapsed in Sunbeams, a middle class record to Simz deeply street one, scooped the Mercury Prize the two make interesting listening contrasts.

Sometimes I Might Be Introvert  is rarely a comforting or consoling record in the way that Collapsed in Sunbeams often is. It's urgent and upbeat while Sunbeams consistently seems concerned with doing what it can to sedate the patient and encourage their temperature down. for better or worse.

I'd say the Little Simz record is much, much better, which is why it features much higher in my chart for the year. It will be well, well into December until I post its position, for those waiting with bated breath for thmy higher chart positions. That doesn't mean I'll listen to it that often it that often. I refer you back to the sixty and fifty thing. But I can recognise what a powerful and far ranging record it is.

It's a primed and toned middleweight, itching for its title challenge, skipping on its toes. Scaring the hell out of its ring opponent for whom the end is surely nigh. It's certainly one of the best albums of 2021.



No comments:

Post a Comment