Thursday, May 27, 2021

Song(s) of the Day # 2,680 FACS

 


I started listening to Present Tense, the latest record by Chicago band FACS, with slight trepidation. At my advancing age I don't particularly care to be scared if I can help it and that seems to be FAC's primary intention. Present Tense is full of jarring abrasive noise that is predicated on the intention of frightening the listener witless from what I can make out.

Fans of Swans, Band of Susans and The Birthday Party might find things to interest and involve them here. I'm not particularly a devotee of these, or this approach but can see that FACS do what they do very well indeed.

Probably not a record I'll return to. My days of flirting with the deeply Gothic are probably well behind me. Not an album that makes me regret not ever having got a tattoo or having my tongue pierced. But those who are prone to these kind of life decisions might find more to enjoy here than I did. I'll confess, I didn't actually get to the end of the record. But FACS had laid down the way they wanted to do things pretty clearly in the first few tracks.


No comments:

Post a Comment