Saturday, May 29, 2021

Song(s) of the Day # 2,682 PACKS

 



Take The Cake the debut album from Toronto's PACKS strikes you from the off like the kind of record that the Deal Sisters would thoroughly approve of . 


Fronted by Madeline Link, who wrote the songs on here in Toronto and the Ottawa suburbs where she was quarantined with her parents in the Spring of 2020, it's a record for the Lo-Fi set.



Songs that twist and turn in on themselves at will, my first play of the record made me think 'I'm going to play this  a lot more to get to know these songs properly'.


Definitely a daughter of the Deals. There are consistent stylistic and thematic reminders of the way The Breeders go about things. Link stamps these with her own personal slant and the results are charming. I also get the definite sense that these are growers.


An album that will appeal to those who are prone to subtle, understated, alternative guitar driven melody. I might take a few listens to be entirely sure about how much I like this but would certainly recommend it in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment